- The term ‘substantial minority population’ in the PM’s new 15 Point Programme applies to such districts/sub-district units where at least 25% of the total population of that unit belongs to minority communities.
- The target group of the programme consists of the eligible sections among the minorities notified under Section 2 (c) of the National Commission for Minorities Act, 1992.
- Some of the target states are Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Nagaland.
- Lakshadweep is the only Union Territory in this group.
- The programme covers 121 districts of the country where population of Minority Communities is concentrated.
- The Central government has allocated 15% of plan outlays for implementation of the 15 points which are related to various ministries.
- There is no separate budget for ‘Prime Minister’s New 15 Point Programme for the Welfare of Minorities’.
- It is executed by specific monitoring of flow of funds to minorities or areas with a substantial minority population under different schemes.
- According to the RTI, the ministry is taking forward the Multi-Sectoral Development Programme (MSDP) which aims to improve the living standard of minorities by creating socio-economic infrastructure and providing basic amenities.
- 24 schemes of 11 ministries are covered under the programme.
The 15 points are –
1. Equitable availability of the Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS)
2. Improving access to School Education
3. Greater resources for teaching Urdu
4. Modernizing Madarsa Education
5. Scholarships for meritorious students from minority communities
6. Improving educational infrastructure through the Maulana Azad Education Foundation
7. Self-Employment and Wage Employment for the poor
8. Upgradation of skill through technical training
9. Enhanced credit support for economic activities
10. Recruitment to State and Central Services
11. Equitable share in rural housing scheme
12. Improvement in condition of slums inhabited by minority communities
13. Prevention of communal incidents
14. Prosecution for communal offences
15. Rehabilitation of victims of communal riots