- Government is implementing the Central Sector Scheme – PRADHAN MANTRI KISAN SAMPADA YOJANA (PMKSY)with an allocation of Rs. 6,000 crores for the period 2016-20 coterminous with the 14th Finance Commission Cycle. The scheme is expected to benefit 20 lakh farmers and generate 5,30,500 direct/ indirect employments by the year 2019-20.
Under PRADHAN MANTRI KISAN SAMPADA YOJANA the Ministry of Food Processing Industries is implementing various Central Sector Schemes in the food processing sector. The PMKSY has the following schemes:
(i). Mega Food Parks (on going)
(ii). Integrated Cold Chain and Value Addition Infrastructure (on going)
(iii). Creation / Expansion of Food Processing & Preservation Capacities (new)
(iv). Infrastructure for Agro-processing Clusters (new)
(v). Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages (new)
(vi). Food Safety and Quality Assurance Infrastructure (on going)
(vii). Human Resources and Institutions (on going)
- The implementation of PMKSY will result in creation of modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to retail outlet.
- It will provide a big boost to the growth of food processing sector in the country.
- It will help in providing better prices to farmers and is a big step towards doubling of farmers’ income.
- It will create huge employment opportunities especially in the rural areas.
- It will also help in reducing wastage of agricultural produce, increasing the processing level, availability of safe and convenient processed foods at affordable price to consumers and enhancing the export of the processed foods.