Prelims in Focus, an Abhiyan Initiative to quickly navigate through the important facts, current affairs, static portion which is short and to the point to enrich your knowledge base along with conceptual clarity. Our Prelims in Focus initiative will be an added advantage to clear UPSC Prelims Examinations. We will continue our Monthly Pre-Bits Flash Liner along with this initiative. In this initiative, we will cover 10-15 important facts on a daily basis. You can join our Telegram Channel too to read these articles. Click here to Join.
IAS Abhiyan Current Affairs Course for Prelims-2021 is now available only @149/-. Click here to Know
IAS Abhiyan Advance Learning Programme (ALP)-2021 is available now @499/- (Offer for limited Period). Click here to Know
Prelims in Focus-Part-05
- India is home to about 30 per cent of the world’s stunted children and nearly 50 per cent of severely wasted children under the age of five.
- ‘Project SWASTHA’
🔹Special Wikipedia Awareness Scheme for The Healthcare Affiliates🔹Mission was to promote healthcare awareness among local communities in India by presenting information on 10 different health-related topics in 10 Indian languages
- Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA)
🔹An intergovernmental organization located in The Hague, Netherlands🔹Not a court in the traditional sense, but provides services of arbitral tribunal to resolve disputes that arise out of international agreements between member states, international organizations or private parties.
🔹Cases span a range of legal issues involving territorial and maritime boundaries, sovereignty, human rights, international investment, and international and regional trade.
🔹Constituted through two separate multilateral conventions with a combined membership of 122 states.
🔹Not a United Nations agency, but an official United Nations Observer
- The only crop where Minimum Support Price (MSP) payment has some statutory element is sugarcane.
The Centre currently fixes MSPs for 23 farm commodities based on the Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices (CACP) recommendations:➖7 cereals (paddy, wheat, maize, bajra, jowar, ragi and barley)
➖5 pulses (chana, arhar/tur, urad, moong and masur)
➖7 oilseeds (rapeseed-mustard, groundnut, soyabean, sunflower, sesamum, safflower and nigerseed) and
➖4 commercial crops (cotton, sugarcane, copra and raw jute)
- Lok Adalats
🔹Also known as People’s Court🔹Alternative dispute resolution mechanism.
🔹Forum can settle cases pending on panchayat or at a pre-litigation stage in a court of law.
🔹Statutory status under the Legal Services Authorities Act, 1987.
🔹Award (decision) made by the Lok Adalats is deemed to be a case of a civil court, final and binding for all parties, and not subject to appeal.
🔹Broad powers to devise its procedures, compared to national courts.
🔹If the parties do not recognise the Lok Adalat (though there is no provision for an appeal against such a prize), they may initiate litigation by approaching the court of appropriate jurisdiction.
- Abraham Accord, is a peace agreement recently signed between Israel, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Bahrain.
- J&K Official Languages Bill, 2020
1. Parliament has recently passed the Jammu and Kashmir Official Languages Bill, 2020.2. Kashmiri, Dogri, Hindi, English and Urdu as the official language of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
3. According to the 2011 census, 53.26% of Jammu and Kashmir people speak Kashmiri.
4. 20.64% speak Dogri, 0.16% people speak Urdu and it was kept as an official language for 70 years.
- Kritagya Hackathon
1. Planned by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) under National Agricultural Higher Education Project (NAHEP).2. Aims to promote potential technology solutions for enhancing farm mechanization with special emphasis on women friendly equipment.
3. Development and promotion of women friendly equipments through innovative technology solutions and right collaborations with stakeholders would play an important role in enhancing the farm productivity and profitability,
4. An opportunity to the students, faculties, entrepreneurs, innovators and other stakeholders to showcase their innovative approaches and technology solutions to promote farm mechanization in India.
5. Enhance the learning capabilities, innovations and disruptive solutions, employability and entrepreneurial drive in the Farm Mechanization sector.
- Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985
🔹Referred to as the NDPS Act, is an Act of the Parliament of India🔹Prohibits a person the production/manufacturing/cultivation, possession, sale, purchasing, transport, storage, and/or consumption of any narcotic drug or psychotropic substance
🔹Extends to the whole of India and it applies also to all Indian citizens outside India and to all persons on ships and aircraft registered in India
🔹The Narcotics Control Bureau was set up under the act
🔹Act is designed to fulfill India’s treaty obligations under the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, Convention on Psychotropic Substances, and United Nations Convention Against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances
- CBD Oil
🔹Falls under the NDPS Act
🔹An extract of hemp (ganja or marijuna leaves)
🔹Stands for cannabido, a product derived from cannabis
🔹Used because people believe it helps relieve health problems such as anxiety, depression, heart attacks, joint pains, muscle spasms and insomnia