Prelims in Focus, an IAS Abhiyan Initiative to quickly navigate through the important facts, current affairs, static portion to enrich aspirant’s knowledge base along with conceptual clarity. Our Prelims in Focus initiative will surely be an added advantage for UPSC Prelims Examinations. This initiative will help the aspirants to focus to the main points of a topic quickly at the same time. In this initiative, we will cover 10-15 important facts on a daily basis. You can also join our Telegram Channel too to read these articles. Click here to Join. We will continue our Monthly Pre-Bits Flash Liner along with this initiative.
IAS Abhiyan Current Affairs Course for Prelims-2021 is now available only @149/-. Click here to Know
IAS Abhiyan Advance Learning Programme (ALP)-2021 is available now @499/- (Offer for limited Period). Click here to Know
Prelims in Focus-Part-07
- Zero FIR
➖In order to ensure that a citizen does not have to run from one police station to another to register an FIR, the law has allowed any police station across the country to register an FIR as soon a cognisable offence is disclosed to them.
➖Hence, a zero FIR is registered by a police station when an offence reported to it has been committed in the area under the jurisdiction of a different police station.
➖As per Section 154 of the Criminal Procedure Code, a police officer is duty bound to register the Zero FIR irrespective of territorial jurisdiction.
- Paryushan Parva is a major Jain festival that lasts seven days, culminating in ‘Samvatsari Parvi’.
➖On this day, Jains greet each other with “Michhami Dukkadam” and observe a day-long fast.
➖‘Michhami Dukkadam’ is an ancient phrase from Prakrit language, which is uttered by one seeking forgiveness for any ill-will or bad deeds and offering a renewal of relationship.
- The Minister of Minority Affairs is implementing Nai Udaan and Naya Savera programme.
➖The objective of the Naya Savera Scheme is to assist students/candidates belonging to the notified the minority communities by way of special coaching for qualifying in competitive examination for recruitment to Group „A‟, „B‟ & „C‟ services and other equivalent post under the Central and State Governments including public sector undertaking, banks, railways etc. or for admission in technical/professional courses.
➖The objective of the Nai Udaan Scheme is to provide financial support to the minority candidates who clear the preliminary examinations conducted by the Union Public Service Commission, Staff Selection Commission and State Public Service Commission.
- The Asur language figures in the list of UNESCO Interactive Atlas of the World’s Languages in Danger. The Asur language features in the UNESCO list of ‘definitely endangered’ languages. Found in-Jharkhand, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal. It is one of the PVTGs of Jharkhand
- Odisha has one of the most diverse tribal populations in India, with 62 tribes, including 13 particularly vulnerable tribal groups (PVTGs). There are 21 tribal languages and 74 dialects which immensely contribute to the linguistic diversity of the state. Only six tribal languages — Santali, Ho, Soura, Munda and Kui — have a written script. Santali has already been included in the Eighth Schedule.
- According to UNESCO, any language that is spoken by less than 10,000 people is potentially endangered. In India, after the 1971 census, the government decided that any language spoken by less than 10,000 people need not be included in the official list of languages. From 1971 onwards, the Census has been counting only of those languages that have more than 10,000 speakers.
- La Nina is a climate pattern that describes periods of below-average sea surface temperatures across the east-central Equatorial Pacific. La Nina is considered to be the counterpart to El Nino, and its impacts tend to be opposite those of El Niño. Together, they form the “cold” (La Nina) and “warm” (El Nino) phases of the El Nino-Southern Oscillation (ENSO).
- European Future Space Mission
EnVision, SPICA & THESEUS
➖EnVision is a proposed orbital mission of European Space Agency (ESA) to Venus that would perform high-resolution radar mapping and atmospheric studies.
➖The Space Infrared Telescope for Cosmology and Astrophysics (SPICA), is a proposed infrared space telescope, follow-on to the successful Akari space observatory. It is a collaboration between European and Japanese scientists.
➖Transient High-Energy Sky and Early Universe Surveyor (THESEUS) is a space telescope mission proposal by the European Space Agency that would study gamma-ray bursts and X-rays for investigating the early universe. If developed, the mission would investigate star formation rates and metallicity evolution, as well as studying the sources and physics of reionization.
- Bengal School of Painting is also called the Renaissance School or the Revivalist School, as it represented the first modern movement of Indian art. Its leading artist was Abanindranath Tagore and its theoretician was E.B. Havell, the principal of the Calcutta School of Art.
- Loya Jirga is a mass national gathering that brings together representatives from the various ethnic, religious, and tribal communities in Afghanistan. It is considered the highest expression of the Afghan people. It is not an official decision-making body and its decisions are not legally binding.