- “Press in India 2016-17” an Annual Publication of the Registrar of Newspapers for India.
About the report:
- The publication was an important document to map the progress of the Indian newspaper industry in the last one year.
- The report gave a comprehensive analysis of the contours of the growth for the industry specially the growth amongst regional language publications.
- In this digital era the report has a seminal importance and assumes importance for the student community as well. She emphasized on the need to release this report digitally.
- The highlights of this year’s report includes, 4007 New Publications registered during 2016-17, Registered publications witnessed a growth rate of 3.58%, UttarPradesh(UP) topped the list of largest number of registered publications followed by Maharashtra, the largest number of publications registered in any Indian language is Hindi followed by English.
- RNI is mandated under Section 19 (G) of the PRB Act, 1867 to submit an Annual Report to the Government every year on or before 31st December.
- The Report is a compilation of the data available with RNI and the details submitted in the Annual Statements filed online by the publications across the country for the Financial year 2016-17.
- Press in India presents an indicative picture of facts and trends in the Indian Print Media.
- The report is of keen interest to print media, media analysts and research scholars.