- The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has set up price monitoring and resource unit (PMRU) in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir
- PMRUs have already been set up by the drug price regulator NPPA in 11 states such as Kerala, Odisha, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, Haryana, Nagaland, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Mizoram
About the PMRU
- The PMRU is a registered society, shall function under the direct control and supervision of State Drug Controller of states
- The unit will be funded by the NPPA for its recurring and non-recurring expenses
- The unit will help the NPPA and the State Drug Controller in ensuring availability and accessibility of medicines at affordable prices
- The unit is also expected to organise seminars, training programs and other information, education and communication activities in the areas of availability and affordability of medicines for all.
- PMRU will also collect samples of medicines, collect and analyse data and make reports with respect to availability and over-pricing of medicines for taking action under the provisions of Drug Price Control Order (DPCO).
- This assumes added significance as PMRU, J&K will assist NPPA and Governments in checking overpricing and identifying causes & addressing local issues of shortages/hoarding in the current situation when country is fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.