Recently, the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has launched the unique Project BOLD (Bamboo Oasis on Lands in Drought) in Rajasthan.
About Project BOLD
- Project BOLD seeks to create bamboo-based green patches in arid and semi-arid land zones.
- It is a unique scientific exercise serving the combined national objectives of reducing desertification and providing livelihood and multi-disciplinary rural industry support.
- 5000 saplings of special bamboo species: Bambusa-Tulda and Bambusa-Polymorpha specially brought from Assam – have been planted over 25 bigha (16 acres approx) of vacant arid Gram Panchayat land.
- KVIC has thus created a world record of planting the highest number of bamboo saplings on a single day at one location.
Back to Basics
About Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC)
- It is a statutory body established under the Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act, 1956.
- It is charged with the planning, promotion, organization and implementation of programmes for the development of Khadi and other village industries in the rural areas in coordination with other agencies engaged in rural development wherever necessary.
- It functions under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
Environment & Biodiversity Current Affairs : Click Here