- The Rajasthan Assembly passed a bill which increased reservation for the Other Backward Classes (OBC) from 21 per cent to 26 per cent.
- The community includes Gujjars and four other castes.
More about the bill:
- The bill seeks to provide 5 per cent reservation to Gujjar, Banjara, Gadia-Lohar, Raika and Gadariya communities.
- The Bill created a new “most backward” category within the OBCs for providing the quota benefit to Gujjars and four other nomadic communities.
- With the passage of the bill, the reservation in Rajasthan now stands at 54 per cent defying the set ceiling of 50 per cent by the Supreme Court.