Brazil is the latest country to join the RANET Initiative of International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). RANET stands for Response and Assistance Network (RANET).
About RANET Initiative
- RANET is an integrated network of States whose assistance capabilities help mitigate the emergencies’ actual or potential consequences to human health, the environment, and property by promptly mobilizing experts and providing equipment and materials.
- If a country determines that an effective response to nuclear or radiological emergencies requires resources beyond its national capacity, a request for international assistance is sent through RANET.
- Any State in the network can update their capabilities any time and, when required, can request these assistance capabilities.
- When a request arrives, the IAEA swiftly coordinates between the requesting and the assisting States an assistance agreement that addresses the specific needs of the requesting State.
- Through RANET, States can request advice on the medical management of casualties, including recommendations on treatment. States can also request specialised treatment of patients and psychological support to casualties, their families, first responders, caregivers and the general public.
- The Member States that offer assistance also benefit. These offers help Member States identify areas in their response capacities that can be strengthened.
- India has become the 35th country to join the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Response and Assistance Network (RANET)
Members of RANET Initiative
- Since its establishment in 2000, the assistance network has expanded to 36 State Parties: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Mexico, Nigeria, Norway, Pakistan, Romania, the Russian Federation, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom and the United States of America.
International Relations Current Affairs UPSC 2021 : Click Here