- Ravi & Beas Waters Tribunal was constituted in 1986 for verification of the quantum of usage of water claimed by Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan regarding their shares in remaining waters.
- The Tribunal forwarded a report in January, 1987. The States of Punjab, Haryana and Rajasthan and Central Government made references to the tribunal seeking clarification/ guidance on certain points of the report under the provisions of the Inter-State River Water Disputes (ISRWD) Act, 1956.
- The matter is subjudice before Tribunal.
- The Hon’ble Supreme Court has given its opinion on the Presidential Reference on 10.11.2016 and held that the Punjab Act cannot be said to be in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution of India.
- Further, the matter pertaining to enforcement of decree regarding construction of Sutlej Yamuna link (SYL) canal is under consideration of the Hon’ble Supreme Court.