- The First International Conference on Sports Medicine and Sports Sciences SAICON 2017 was inaugurated on 7th Dec 2017 by the Minister of State (I/C) Youth Affairs and Sports Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore.
- Additionally ‘Khelo India’ programme has been chalked out to tap talent at the school and college level.
- Under the Khelo India national school games would be organised from January 31 to February 8 next year for the under 17 age group.
- These school games will act as a springboard. He said for the first time a sports broadcaster will broadcast live the national school games.
- The ministry is working to create a Bank of Coaches in different disciplines of Sports.
- Progress is being made to recognise all the coaches in an athlete’s career who wins medal at international level.
- A provision has been made so that the amount given to the coaches of national athletes is shared by 20% by the grass root coach and 30% of it would go to the developmental coaches at academies.
- SAICON 2017 aims to promote scientific temperament in the country and inspire students, researchers and educationists alike to take up sports science and research to the next level.
- Organized by Sports Authority of India, the 3-day conference is being attended by about 1000 national and international delegates.