In a function, Mr Modi released water from AJI-3 Dam. Addressing a gathering of farmers after the inauguration, Mr Modi said, this is an initiative that will make every Gujarati proud.
He had announced the Rs 12,000 crore Saurashtra Narmada Avataran for Irrigation project to fill up dams of Saurashtra region which faces shortage of water for irrigation and drinking. And on Tuesday, he launched the first phase of SAUNI project at Dhrol taluka in Saurashtra.
About SAUNI Project:
• The Saurashtra Narmada Avtaran Irrigation Yojna, or SAUNI, is a project that aims to solve the water problems of a parched Saurashtra.
• The ambitious project involves filling up 115 dams in the region with excess water from the Sardar Sarovar dam.
• SAUNI is a ‘linking’ project, where the water will be filled in irrigation dams that are already equipped with canal network. This network of canals will then help channel water into farms.
• In the 1st phase of the project, nearly 10 dams and reservoirs of Rajkot, Jamnagar and Morbi will be filled up with the water of Narmada river.
• The four-phased project is expected to be completed soon.
• Work started on the Canal to take water from the Sardar Sarovar dam 458 kilometers away in 2002, and was completed in 2008. Besides Central and north Gujarat, the water reaches southern Rajasthan as well.
• For the water to reach Saurashtra ‘gateway’ in Surendra Nagar, Mehsana has been linked by the Saurashtra Branch canal. Asia’s most powerful pumping station was also built last year by the Gujarat government.
• A total of 115 of the 138 dams in Saurashtra will get Narmada water once they have been linked either through canals or small streams.
• 11 districts of Saurashtra will be directly benefited by the ‘SAUNI’. Also it will provide jobs to each person, water to each household, greenery in every field, and a smile on every face.
• Overall, the plan to overcome the perpetual drought is a huge milestone in Saurashtra region.
• Saruashtra region of Gujarat comprises 11 districts. These districts faces drought like situation often and has been reeling under severe water scarcity due to scanty rainfall.
• The SAUNI Yojana was announced in 2012 when PM Modi was the Chief Minister of Gujarat.