With a focus on the Western Indian Ocean, the Save Our Mangroves Now! initiative unites governments, conservation specialists and coastal communities through a shared goal to conserve and restore mangrove habitats.
About Save Our Mangroves Now! initiative
- It is an international initiative launched by IUCN, WWF and Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development-Germany.
- Vision: A world in which thriving mangrove habitats exist in harmony with the communities they support.
- Mission: To facilitate policies, programmes and investments that regenerate mangrove ecosystems, tackle climate change and sustain livelihoods.
- Goal: To embed and strengthen ambitious objectives on mangrove conservation in international and national political agendas such as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and the Paris Agreement.
- The UN decades on Ocean Science and Ecosystem Restoration present additional global frameworks for accelerating action on sustainable mangrove management.
- With the elaboration of the post-2020 strategic framework of the CBD, the upcoming Global Stock take and Ocean Dialogue under the Paris Agreement, and the expiration of several targets under SDG14 (Life Below Water), it is vital that marine and coastal nature-based solutions such as mangroves gain importance in political decision making.
- Believe that a regional approach is needed to effectively halt mangrove loss and support the Western Indian Ocean (WIO) region to become a champion in mangrove conservation.
- Support lighthouse projects to foster innovation, identify best practices, and bridge the science-policy gap.
- It is open for partnerships with countries, other initiatives and organizations in order to increase the momentum for mangrove conservation.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join