- To mark the occasion of 151 years of postcards in India, Maharashtra Circle of India Post will release picture postcards on ‘Sawantwadi Toys’
- Sawantwadi toys refers to hand made works of art made of wood in Sawantwadi a town in Sindhudurg district of Maharashtra, an Indian state.
More details about Sawantwadi toys
- Sawantwadi is considered to be India’s largest market for wooden models of fruits and wooden toys. Most of these toys are made in the village of Kolgaon in Sawantwadi taluka, these toys are made from the wood of the Indian Coral tree (Erythrina variegata).
- Craftsmen who make these toys belong to the Chittari community who came to Sawantwadi from Karwar and Goa.
- It is reported that the makers of these toys face the challenge of competition from mass produced cheap Chinese products.
- A news story dated May, 2013, bemoans the lack of state support to this traditional art form.
For More Such Art & Culture Topics: Click Here