Recently, the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) has developed a chain of science museums and science centers throughout the Country including Science Cities through Scheme for Promotion of Culture of Science (SPoCS) for portraying the growth of science and technology and their application in industry and human welfare, with a view to develop scientific attitude and temper in the country as also to conduct research in science and technology in the areas pertaining to the activities of the Council.
About Scheme for Promotion of Culture of Science (SPoCS)
- The National Council of Science Museums (NCSM) is the implementing agency to set up science cities/centres and Innovation Hubs.
- The State Governments/Union Territories and the Societies / Authorities promoted by the State/UT Govts. for the purpose of Science City/Science Centre/Innovation hubs shall be eligible for financial assistance.
- It provides for setting up of Science Cities and Science Centres in all the States of the country subject to availability of funds for the purpose.
Components of Scheme for Promotion of Culture of Science (SPoCS)
- Science City
- It is aimed to be a popular tourist attraction of the location.
- It provides an experiment based immersive learning ambience to inculcate a spirit of inquiry, foster creative talent and create scientific temper in the community as a whole.
- It is characterised by its two pronged channel of communication – exhibits and activities.
- Science Centre
- It provides the scope of doing science’ adopting a hands-on approach for which it offers to the visitor a number of experimental options through which they can discover the scientific concept themselves.
- Innovation Hubs
- It would be co-located in the existing Science Cities/Science Centres, science museums and non-formal educational institutions that promote creativity & inspire innovations.
Objectives of Scheme for Promotion of Culture of Science (SPoCS)
- To portray the growth of science and technology and their application in industry and human welfare, with a view to develop scientific attitude and temper and to create, inculcate and sustain a general awareness amongst the people;
- To create awareness & enhance public understanding, appreciation & engagement of public in the process of Science & technology:
- To popularise science and technology for the benefit of students and for the common man of the region by organising exhibitions, seminars, popular lectures, science camps and various other programmes,
- To supplement science education given in schools and colleges and to organise various out-of-school educational activities to foster a spirit of scientific inquiry and creativity among the students;
- To design, develop and fabricate science museum exhibits, demonstration equipment and scientific teaching aids for science education and popularisation of science;
- To organise training programmes for science teachers students/young entrepreneurs/ technicians/physically challenged/housewives and others on specific subjects of science, technology and industry.
Back to Basics
About National Council of Science Museums (NCSM)
- It is an autonomous society under the Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
- It was established in 1978.
- It administers 25 Science Centres/Museums spread all over India.
- Science City, Kolkata, Birla Industrial and Technological Museum (BITM), Kolkata, Nehru Science Centre, Mumbai, Visvesvaraya Industrial and Technological Museum (VITM), Bangalore and National Science Centre, Delhi are National level centres of NCSM.
Art and Culture Current Affairs : Click here