- Odisha’s Anthagarh forest division has started casting seed bomb inside diferent reserve forest area to enrich food stock for wild elephants to prevent man elephant conflict.
- On the eve of World Elephant Day 2020 the MOEFCC has launched a portal on human elephant conflicts surakshya.
- Villegers who bear the brunt of elephant attack have come forward ti prepare bamboo seed balls and scatter them in 38 reserve forests under Athagarh forests.
- Athagarh forest is one of worst hit areas as far as man elephant conflict.
- Elephants frequently raid village coming under Athagarh and khuntuni range and damage standing paddy crops, forest trees and vegetables plants.
Back to Basics
- a seed bomb is little bar generally made of combination of compost, clay and seed.
- It is used for revegetation and reforestation of fragile ecosystem.
- Seed bombs are sprayed using aerial device like helicopter and drones known as aerial seeding.
Source: The Hindu