- Sentinel-1 is a space mission funded by the European Union and carried out by the ESA within the Copernicus Programme, consisting of a constellation of two satellites.
- The payload of Sentinel-1 is a Synthetic Aperture Radar in C band that provides continuous imagery (day, night and all weather).
A summary of applications are:
- Monitoring sea ice zones and the Arctic environment, and surveillance of marine environment.
- Monitoring land surface motion risks
- Mapping of land surfaces: forest, water and soil
- Mapping in support of humanitarian aid in crisis situations