- The Jharkhand state government launched the ‘Shaheed Gram Vikas Yojana’ to develop villages of freedom fighters.
- It was launched from Ulihatu Village, birth place of freedom fighter Birsa Munda.
- These villages had remained inaccessible for long time after Independence because of Left-wing extremism.
- Under the scheme, villages of many tribal freedom fighters will be developed and their habitants will be provided with basic amenities.
- The concerned villages have remained inaccessible for a long time after Independence because of Left-wing extremism.
- The current scheme will now provide the inhabitants of the Ulihatu village with 136 pucca houses.
- The pucca houses will include two rooms, a verandah, bathroom and a toilet each.
Who is Birsa Munda?
- Birsa Munda was a freedom fighter, religious leader, and folk hero who belonged to the Munda tribe from Chhotanagpur area
- He is known for leading Munda rebellion towards end of 19th century against British Raj.
- Munda rebellion began in the year 1895 to revolt against British administration interference in tribal politics and their religious matters
- Birsa Munda was a master at Guerilla Warfare techniques.
- He launched various surprise attacks in which many police officials were killed
- The Britishers were able to arrest Birsa Munda on Mar 3, 1900.
- He was sentenced to death but he died beforehand inside the jail due to cholera.