Government think tank Niti Aayog and Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI) recently, launched an Shoonya campaign an intiative to promote zero-pollution delivery vehicles by working with consumers and industry.
About Shoonya campaign
- The Shoonya campaign, aims to accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) in the urban deliveries segment and create consumer awareness about the benefits of zero-pollution delivery.
- As part of the campaign, a corporate branding and certification programme is being launched to recognise and promote the industry’s efforts towards transitioning to EVs for final-mile deliveries.
- Urban freight vehicles account for 10 per cent of freight transportation-related CO2 emissions in India, and these emissions are expected to grow by 114 per cent by 2030.
- An online tracking platform will share the campaign’s impact through data such as vehicle kilometres electrified, carbon savings, criteria pollutant savings and other benefits from clean delivery vehicles.
- The primary objective of the campaign is to promote awareness about health, environmental and economic benefits of electric vehicles.
- EVs emit no tailpipe emissions, which can contribute immensely to improved air quality. The Central and the State governments have introduced policies to provide upfront incentives for EVs, which will lower the capital cost by a high margin.
Environment Current Affairs UPSC 2021 : Click Here