More than a 100 days after Russia began its invasion of Ukraine, it is the strategic eastern city of Sievierodonetsk that remains the focus of intense fighting in the battle’s current phase.
- Located nearly 140 km south of the Russian border, it is one of the largest cities of the Donbas region.
- It is located near the left bank of the Siverskyi Donets river, and has a population of over a lakh. Administratively, Sievierodonetsk falls under Ukraine’s Luhansk oblast (province).
- It is a big industrial hub known for chemical works and machine-building factories.
- When Russia talks about ‘liberating’ Donbas, it broadly refers to controlling Ukraine’s eastern regions of Donetsk and Luhansk.
- If the city falls, then it will allow Russia to control the entire Luhansk region.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join