- According to a recent report, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh rank high in the conservation of the endangered dhole in India.
Back to Basics
- a wild carnivorous animal belonging to the canine family, found in Central, South, East Asia, and Southeast Asia.
- known as Asian wild dogs.
- play an important role as apex predators in forest ecosystems.
- Wildlife Protection Act 1972-Schedule-2
- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)– Appendix 2
- India’s 1st conservation breeding centre-Indira Gandhi Zoological Park.
- Besides the tiger, it is the only large carnivore in India
- Highly found in the Western Ghats and central Indian forests.