- The owl conservation efforts of a non-profit at a core area inside Maharashtra’s Melghat Tiger Reserve came into question over the conservation of the endemic forest owlet and other owl species.
- The species was thought to be extinct for over 100 years until it was rediscovered in 1997.
Back to Basics
About Forest Owlet
- endemic to the forests of central India
- IUCN- endangered
- Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972- Schedule-1
- strongly diurnal, which means it is active during the day and hunts in daylight.
- Colour banding is a standard technique used all over the world for identifying individual birds.
Seven species of owls:
- Spotted owlet
- Jungle owlet
- Indian Scoops
- Indian Eagle-owl
- Mottled wood owl
- Brown Fish owl
- Barn owl