- Recently, a rare amphibian i.e. Malabar Gliding Frog was spotted in Pullad, Kerala.
About the Frog
- The amphibian is endemicto the rainforest of western ghats.
- It is agreen frogwith slender body, webbed feet, unusual body positions and very well camouflaged.
- In the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List, it is placed in the Least Concerncategory.
Endemic species are those plants and animals that exist only in one geographical region.
About Western Ghats
- Mountain ranges running parallel along the western coast of India starting from Gujarat and ending in Tamil Nadu.
- Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala are the six Indian states covered by Western Ghats.
- A “Hottest Hotspot” of biodiversity.
- A UNESCO World Heritage Site.