- Recently, China has accorded the pangolin the highest level of protection and removed the scales of the Pangolin from its list of approved traditional medicines.
- India is home to two species of pangolin.
- While the Chinese Pangolin is found in northeastern India, the Indian Pangolin is distributed in other parts of the country as well as Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Pakistan.
- Both these species are protected and are listed under the Schedule I Part I of the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972 and under Appendix I of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES).
IUCN Conservation Status:
- Indian pangolin – Endangered
- Chinese pangolin – Critically Endangered