- Pumas, have an ability to assess their surrounding terrain and accordingly use a suitable walking gait to conserve energy, a new study has shown.
- The areas that these animals move into, force them to use more energy and cause declines in their populations.
Back to Basics
- Also known as mountain lions or cougars.
- The cats travel more slowly while ascending or descending mountains to conserve energy.
- The puma is the top feline predator in the Americas, along with the jaguar.
- Native range is diminishing due to increasing agriculture and urbanisation.
- Puma habitat in California is predicted to diminish 35 per cent by 2030.
- IUCN-Least Concern