- Recently, Orissa High Court has issued notice to the state government over appointment of bureaucrats as chairman and member secretary of the State pollution control board for the past 10 years.
Back to Basics
About State Pollution Control Boards:
- They are constitutes in pursuance of the Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974.
- After the enactment of the Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1981, the enforcing responsibility was entrusted to these Boards.
Composition and selection of members:
- The members of State Pollution Control Boards are nominated by respective State Governments.
Apart from the above said Acts, the Board is also enforcing the following Rule and Notifications framed under Environment (Protection) Act, 1986:
- Hazardous and Other Wastes (Management and Transboundary Movement) Rules, 2016.
- Environmental Impact Assessment Notification, 2006.
- Bio-Medical Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016.
- The Noise Pollution (Regulation & Control) Rules, 2000.
- Construction & Demolition Waste Management Rules, 2016
- The Public Liability Insurance Act, 1991.
- Fly Ash Notification, 1999 and 2008.