Stockholm+50 is convened by the United Nations and is hosted by Sweden with support from the Government of Kenya.
In May 2021, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution to bring the global environmental community together in Stockholm, Sweden for a major international environmental meeting on June 2 and 3 2022, the week of World Environment Day.
- Stockholm+50: a healthy planet for the prosperity of all – our responsibility, our opportunity” (Stockholm+50) will take place five decades after the 1972 United Nations Conference on the Human Environment.
- By recognizing the importance of multilateralism in tackling the Earth’s triple planetary crisis – climate, nature, and pollution – the event will to act as a springboard accelerate the implementation of the UN Decade of Action to deliver the Sustainable Development Goals, including the 2030 Agenda, Paris Agreement on climate change, the post-2020 global Biodiversity Framework, and encourage the adoption of green post-COVID-19 recovery plans.
Emergence of UNEP
- In 1972, some 122 countries attended, and participants adopted a series of principles on the environment, including the Stockholm Declaration and Action Plan for the Human Environment.
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) was created as a result of the conference.
Why is Stockholm+50 relevant today?
- By advocating the importance of multilateralism in tackling the Earth’s triple planetary crisis—climate change, biodiversity loss, and pollution—the event will act as a springboard to accelerate the implementation of the UN Decade of Action to deliver the Sustainable Development Goals, the 2030 Agenda, the Paris Agreement on climate change, and the post-2020 global Biodiversity Framework—all while encouraging the adoption of green post-COVID-19 recovery plans.
- Stockholm+50 intends to create conditions that allow the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
What will be discussed at Stockholm+50?
- The theme of the meeting is “Stockholm+50: a healthy planet for the prosperity of all – our responsibility, our opportunity”.
- Stockholm+50 will raise awareness about the importance of protecting our planet.
- It will articulate a path for us to build back after the COVID-19 pandemic while overcoming the crisis of climate change, of nature and biodiversity loss, and of pollution and waste.
- Three Leadership Dialogues will take place during the meeting and are expected to contribute to the outcome of Stockholm+50.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join