Here are some key facts you should definitely know about the order:
- The Supreme court has also ordered that all the private cabs will convert into CNG by March 1, next year
- The order also says that the vehicles registered before 2005 will be banned from entering Delhi
- The trucks not bound for Delhi will not be able to enter through National Highways 1 and 8.
Some facts on how diesel is the prime source of air pollution:
- Diesel engines generally produce 28 times less carbon monoxide than gasoline engines
- However, the burning nature of diesel engines and the high temperatures and pressures of the process of combustion results in much production of nitrogen oxides (NOx)
- As per WHO, emissions from Diesel cars produce more toxic nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and may cause cancer
- Nitrogen oxide is an air pollutant which can decrease lung functionality and increase the risk of respiratory diseases. Their reduction in air takes a lot of time and years
- According to the UK government, Nitrogen oxides in the air reportedly kills 23,500 people a year in the country
- The road transport is, by far, the largest contributor to the illegal levels of NOx in many parts of the world
- The level of Nitrogen oxides from petrol cars have decreased by around 96 percent, while the level of the pollutant released by the diesel cars has not decreased in a decade
- Diesel fuel contains more energy per litre than petrol.