The Sur Sarovar, a bird haven in Agra (UP) got the designation as a ‘Ramsar sites’, getting the highest level of protection.
Read Now: Lonar lake declared as 41st Ramsar site
Abour Sur Sarovar:
- It is also otherwise known as Keetham lake.
- Sur Sarovar is important for bird species which migrate on the Central Asian flyway and over 30,000 water birds visit the reservoir annually.
- is a scenic lake just outside Agra on the Agra – Delhi highway (NH 2). Alongside the Keetham Lake is the Agra Bear Rescue Facility, which is a Sloth bear rescue facility dedicated to rehabilitating previously enslaved ‘dancing bears’.
- Keetham lake was declared a bird sanctuary in 1991.
- Situated along with Yamuna Bank has the famous sloth bear shelter home.
Source: Times of India
For More Such Protected Areas in News: Click Here