- Recently, the Swachh Survekshan 2020 report has been launched by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA).
- Cities with a population of more than 10 lakh:
- Indore was ranked first, securing the rank for the fourth consecutive year, followed by Surat and Navi Mumbai.
- All the National Capital Region (NCR) cities, Greater Mumbai, Bruhat Bengaluru, Amritsar, Kota, Chennai, etc. have performed poorly.
- Patna with the rank 47, is at the bottom of the list.
- Cities with a population of 1-10 lakh:
- Chhattisgarh’s Ambikapur has been surveyed as the cleanest city in the country, followed by Mysore and New Delhi.
- Bihar’s Gaya with a rank of 382, is at the bottom.
- Cities with a population of less than 1 lakh:
- Karad has been ranked as the cleanest followed by Sasvad and Lonavala (all three in Maharashtra).
- Other Categories:
- Varanasi has been ranked the cleanest among 46 Ganga towns.
- Jalandhar got the top rank among
- New Delhi was the cleanest capital city.
- Chhattisgarh was ranked the cleanest State out of those with over 100 urban local bodies (ULBs) or cities.
- Jharkhand was the cleanest state with less than 100 ULBs or cities.
Source: Hindustan Times/PIB