Termas are a part of tantric literature.
- These hidden teachings are key to Vajrayana or Tibetan Buddhist and Bon religious traditions.
- The belief is that these teachings were originally esoterically hidden by various adepts such as Padmasambhava during the 8th century, for future discovery at auspicious times by other adepts.
- As such, terma represent a tradition of continuous revelation in Vajrayana or Tibetan Buddhism.
- Termas are not always made public right away.
- The conditions may not be right; people may not yet be ready for them; and further instructions may need to be revealed to clarify their meaning.