- The Centre must review actions by security forces that unfairly stifle ordinary life, such as cordon-and-search operations, restrictions on access to orchards during the fruit harvesting season, and suspension of Internet services.
- Second, it must act to rebuild the ceasefire on the border with Pakistan, and discuss the issue at a bilateral level.
- At the same time, it must be alert to all attempts at subverting the cease-ops initiative, which could come from Pakistan or from vested interests within J&K.
- Finally, the government should get its message out on its vision for a longer-term resolution to reverse alienation amid a polarised debate in sections of the media on the value of the ceasefire, which adds to the sense of anxiety in Kashmir.
- A window of opportunity has been created.
- The need now is to move quickly and seize it.