The Ocean Decade
- In 2017, the United Nations General Assembly proclaimed the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030) (‘the Ocean Decade’).
- UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) is coordinating the Ocean Decade preparations on behalf of the UN system.
The Ocean Decade Alliance
- To stimulate the ambitious global ocean science agenda of the Ocean Decade, the Ocean Decade Alliance (‘the Alliance’) has been established to leverage and multiply financial and in-kind resource commitments towards the Decade. The Alliance aims to create a network of eminent partners of the Ocean Decade that can lead by example to catalyse support for the Decade through targeted resource mobilization, networking, and influence.
- The Alliance is a global platform that will occupy a high profile and unique niche. The Alliance focuses on action and the shared development of solutions. Its mandate is unparalleled and aims to support resource mobilisation for ocean science in all its manifestations to achieve the vision of the Ocean Decade and thus contribute to the 2030 Agenda.
- At the highest level, the Alliance will allow members to be part of a collective, global, UN-led effort to resolve some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Rather than being bystanders, Alliance members will have the opportunity to shape the strategic implementation of the Ocean Decade.
- They will be recognised as global leaders supporting ocean science via the Ocean Decade communications tools and through high-level participation in conferences or meetings. In joining the collective effort of the Alliance, members will not relinquish their own priorities or procedures for providing support. Alliance members will have new opportunities for formal and informal networking – both amongst other members of the Alliance and with stakeholders seeking resources. This will potentially lead to new collaborations for joint funding or initiatives, as well as opportunities to optimise synergies activities supported by Alliance members.
- The Alliance will provide members with access to leaders in ocean science thus creating opportunities to fund or support the most innovative ocean science initiatives under the Ocean Decade.
- Membership of the Alliance will be by invitation, based on a demonstrated and sustained commitment to the vision of the Ocean Decade including alignment of resource provision strategies with the priorities of the Decade, and commitment of significant in-kind or financial support to Decade Actions or coordination costs.
- The Alliance will have a diverse, yet relatively small, membership. Membership will primarily be at the institutional level; however, high profile individuals within member organisations can choose to be recognised as Ocean Decade Patrons and thus have their individual commitments to the Ocean Decade recognised. Importantly, the Alliance will create space for the emergence of new leaders within the ocean community that come from a diversity of profiles.