Recently, Tiger Orchids largest orchid species bloom at the Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute (JNTBGRI), Palode.
About Tiger Orchids
- The orchid variety, native to South East Asia, is in bloom at the Palode institute. Grammatophyllum speciosum, popular as the ‘Tiger Orchid,’ is the largest orchid species in the world.
- They are so called because of their splendid flowers which sport striking brown spots against a yellow backdrop, bringing to mind tigers.
- This species is native to Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar and Laos.
- Flowering starts in June and lasts till August. This three-month period is also a time when orchid lovers flock to the institute to have a peek.
- After 8-12 years of growth, Grammatophyllum speciosum produces flowers in alternate years in its natural habitat.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join