Features of the Bill:
- It takes into consideration aggravated forms of trafficking, which includes trafficking for the purpose of forced labour, begging, trafficking of a woman or child for the purpose of marriage or under the pretext of marriage or after marriage etc.
- It deals with punishment for promoting or facilitating trafficking of the person.
- It deals with the confidentiality of victims/ witnesses and complainants by not disclosing their identity.
- The confidentiality of the victims is maintained by recording their statement through video conferencing (this also helps in trans-border and inter-State crimes).
- National Investigation Agency (NIA) will perform the tasks of Anti-Trafficking Bureau at the national level present under the MHA.
- Punishment ranges from rigorous minimum 10 years to life and fine not less than Rs. 1 lakh.
- The National Anti-Trafficking Bureau will perform the functions of international coordination with authorities in other countries.