- The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) came into existence in 1987.
- It is a national-level apex organization functioning under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Govt. of India.
- TRIFED has its registered and Head Office located in New Delhi and has a network of 13 Regional Offices located at various places in the country.
- TRIFED also organises National Tribal Craft Expo called “AADISHILP”, painting exhibition called “Aadi Chitra”, “OCTAVE” for North Eastern Artisans and Tribal Artisan Melas to facilitate the sale of their products.
- Promote sustainable livelihood systems for tribal people by marketing development and ensuring remunerative price for their products, provide minimum support price and value addition of Non-Timber Forest Produce (Minor Forest Produce), empower them through meticulous capacity building, augment their resources substantially, Develop marketing partnership with Central/State Government agencies and other development partners through establishing convergence and coherence in activities.
The Govt. of India has approved a Road Map for TRIFED for the 11th five year plan period which envisage a financial assistance to TRIFED by way of Grants-in-aid under the Central Sector Scheme of “Marketing Development of tribal products/produce” for the following four main activities:-
(1) Retail Marketing Development Activity
(2) MFP Marketing Development Activity
(3) Vocation Training, Skill Upgradation and Capacity Building of ST Artisans and Minor Forest Produce (MFP) Gatherers
(4) Research & Development/Intellectual Property Right (IPR) Activity.