- India has added Tso Kar Wetland Complex in Ladakh as its 42nd Ramsar site, which is a second one in the Union Territory (UT) of Ladakh.
About Tso Kar Wetland Complex
- The Tso Kar Basin is a high-altitude wetland complex, consisting of two principal waterbodies, Startsapuk Tso, a freshwater lake of about 438 hectares to the south, and Tso Kar itself, a hypersaline lake of 1800 hectares to the north, situated in the Changthang region of Ladakh, India.
- It is called Tso Kar, meaning white lake, because of the white salt efflorescence found on the margins due to the evaporation of highly saline water.
- The Tso Kar Basin is an A1 Category Important Bird Area (IBA) as per Bird Life International and a key staging site in the Central Asian Flyway.
- The site is also one of the most important breeding areas of the Black-necked Crane (Grus nigricollis) in India.
- This IBA is also the major breeding area for Great Crested Grebe (Podicepscristatus), Bar-headed Geese (Anserindicus), Ruddy Shelduck (Tadornaferruginea), Brown-headed Gull (Larusbrunnicephalus), Lesser Sand-Plover (Charadriusmongolus) and many other species.
- The name Tso Kar refers to the white salt efflorescence on the margins of the lake caused by the evaporation of the saline waters.
- The local climate is arid, and glacial meltwater is the primary water source for the lakes.
- The lakes and in particular the presence of fresh water attract biodiversity in a biologically sparse region.
- Inhabiting numerous threatened species including the endangered saker falcon (Falco cherrug) and Asiatic wild dog or dhole (Cuon alpinus laniger), and the vulnerable snow leopard (Panthera uncia).
Note: 👉Recently added Ramsar Sites in 2020 from India
➖Tso Kar Wetland Complex -Ladakh
➖Nandur Madhameshwar -Maharashtra,
➖Keshopur-Miani, Beas Conservation Reserve and Nangal – Punjab
➖Nawabganj, Parvati Agra, Saman, Samaspur, Sandi and SarsaiNawar -Uttar Pradesh
➖Lonar lake -Maharashtra
➖Sur Sarovar, also known as Keetham lake, in Agra-Uttar Pradesh
➖Kabartal – Bihar
➖Asan Conservation Reserve -Uttarakhand
For More Protected Areas in news: Click Here