- UIDAI has now introduced a blue coloured ‘Baal Aadhaar’ card for children below the age of 5 years.
- Aadhaar, the 12-digit unique identity number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI), is a compulsory identity card.
- A number of government schemes require applicants to provide details of their Aadhaar card number.
- For enrolling a child for ‘Baal Aadhaar’ card, the child’s birth certificate and the Aadhaar card number of one of the parents is required.
- Biometrics is not developed for children before five years of age. According to UIDAI, a child’s blue coloured Aadhaar data does not include biometric information like fingerprints and iris scan.
- Once the child crosses the age of five, biometrics should be updated, UIDAI further said.