- The Union Government on 20 December 2016 announced Rs 207 crore to undertake developmental works in Majuli Island in Assam.
- The announcement was made by the Union Minister for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Jitendra Singh in New Delhi.
- The sanctioned amount will be spent primarily for safeguarding the land loss due to erosion and to protect the 80 km length of the bank line on the right bank of river Brahmaputra.
Facts related to Majuli Island
- It was declared as India’s first Island district in June 2016 by the Assam Government.
- It is a fluvial landform (a riverine delta), a unique geographical occurrence and a result of the dynamics of the Brahmaputra river system.
- It is bounded by the river Subanisri and her tributaries on the North West, the kherkatia Suli in the northeast and the main Brahmaputra River on the South and the South west.