World leaders are setting their sights on controlling plastic pollution at the 5th United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA), where India will play a vital role in pressing the issues of sustainable use and recycle economy.
- India is also likely to move a resolution on the issue of marine litter.
- India is going to play a vital role in the UNEA on the issues of sustainable use and recycle economy.
- India has already brought out the Plastic Waste Management (Amendment) Rules, 2022, following the directions and vision of the prime minister to ban single-use plastic by 2022.
- Three resolutions were put forth by member states on plastic pollution – Peru, Rwanda, Japan and India.
- The two draft resolutions of Peru, Rwanda and Japan were based on the principle of legally binding target while the Indian draft resolution was based upon the principle immediate collective voluntary action by countries.
- In order to allow for global action to take place, India agreed for setting up of an intergovernmental negotiating committee for a new international legally binding treaty.
Back to Basics
United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA)
- Hosted by the UN Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Brings together representatives of the 193 Member States of the UN
- Theme for UNEA-5 is “Strengthening Actions for Nature to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals”.
- It is UNEP’s governing body
- Meets every two years
- It is an opportunity for Member States to share best practices for sustainability.
- It will create momentum for governments build on and catalyze impact on multilateral environmental efforts to protect and restore the natural world on which our economies and societies depend.
Visit Abhiyan PEDIA (One of the Most Followed / Recommended) for UPSC Revisions: Click Here
IAS Abhiyan is now on Telegram: Click on the Below link to Join our Channels to stay Updated
IAS Abhiyan Official: Click Here to Join
For UPSC Mains Value Edition (Facts, Quotes, Best Practices, Case Studies): Click Here to Join