- The Central government is going to launch Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) Scheme for the Urban areas all over the country. Under the scheme, the central government will give ranking to the states by conducting a competition through the National Level Competition. The ULB scheme will be similar the smart city scheme.
- This ULB scheme will be implemented with the support of the world bank.
- The central government getting the good response from the smart city scheme. Under the scheme, the government will conduct a competition among the states.
- This competition will be held for Transformational Urban Reforms through Performance-based initiative for States/ULBs.
- The smart city will enhance the overall quality of life and better living.
- The central government will create smart urban areas that provide better social and economic environments by preparing for both natural and man-made disasters.
- The smart cities are viable to provide easy access to medical facilities, education and employment facilities to the citizen.
Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) Scheme
- ULB scheme will be implemented in two-phase all over the country. Firstly five states will be selected through national competition which consists of three stages. In addition, this scheme will be implemented during the financial year 2018-19.
- This scheme will strengthen the institutional, financial and accounting system of the selected ULBs. Apart from this, the scheme will also support and incentivise the states and civic bodies.
- The incentive grant under the scheme will be provided on the performance-based which will be used for implementing reforms.
Source: Sarkari Yojana