- Recently New Delhi is going to host the ninth India-US Defence Technologies and Trade Initiative (DTTI) group meeting.
Defence Technologies and Trade Initiative (DTTI):
- The DTTI initiative is led by Undersecretary of Defence for Acquisition and Sustainment from the United States and Secretary for Defence Protection from India.
- DTTI is a flexible mechanism to make sure that senior leaders from both countries are engaged consistently to strengthen the opportunities in the field of defence.
- Its central aims include strengthening India’s defence industrial base, exploring new areas of technological development and expanding U.S.-India business ties.
- DTTI came about to expedite the scope of cooperation on defence technology that become narrow due to the presence of differing bureaucratic processes and legal requirements.
Strategic Trade Authority Tier 1 (STA-1):
- In August 2018, the US granted to India the designation of Strategic Trade Authority Tier 1 or STA-1.
- It provides India with greater supply-chain efficiency by allowing US companies to export a greater range of dual-use and high-technology items to India under streamlined processes.
This authorisation is the equivalent of NATO allying with Japan, South Korea and Australia.