- The President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind conferred the “Vayoshreshtha Samman” to eminent senior citizens and institutions in recognition of their services towards the cause of elderly persons.
- There is a healthy tradition of respecting and taking care of elders in our country.
- According to the last census, the population of senior citizens in our country was approximately 10.5 crore, which was about 8.5% of our total population.
- The average life expectancy has increased in recent decades due to improvement in health services and other reasons.
- It is estimated that by the year 2050, the number of senior citizens will be approximately 19% of our total population.
- National Programme for Healthcare of the Elderly wherein specialised services will be provided for their treatment is operational.
Under the National Health Insurance Scheme implemented with the help of State Governments, additional health insurance is being provided.
- National Award ‘Vayoshreshtha Samman’ will help to motivate younger generations to understand the contribution of the elderly persons in building of the society and the nation.
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment as the nodal ministry for the cause of senior citizens, has been celebrating the International day of Older Persons since 2005 by conferring Vayoshreshtha Sammans to eminent senior citizens and institutions in recognition of their services towards the cause of elderly persons, especially indigent senior citizens.
- In 2013, the Vayoshreshtha Sammans have been upgraded as a “National Award”.
- The National Award ‘Vayoshreshtha Samman’ is given in thirteen categories.