- Vikram, the first of a series of seven Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs), was launched.
- The long-range ship was built by Larsen and Toubro.
What are OPVs?
- OPVs are long-range surface ships capable of coastal and offshore patrolling, policing maritime zones, control & surveillance, anti-smuggling & anti-piracy operations with limited wartime roles.
- It is the country’s first-ever such defence craft to be built in a private shipyard (L&T).
- It is likely to be inducted into the Indian Coast Guard in April 2018.