- Recently the Security issues in the disputed South China Sea convinced the Philippines to delay quitting the Visiting Forces Agreement, a key US military pact.
- The Philippines, a long-term US ally and its former colony, has drawn closer to China in search of trade and investment,sparking concerns of the US.
About Visiting Forces Agreement
- A visiting force agreement (VFA) is an agreement between a country and a foreign nation having military forces visiting that country.
- It is a version of a status of forces agreement that only applies to troops temporarily in a country.
- The US military has the largest foreign presence and therefore accounts for most VFAs.
- The Philippines–United States Visiting Forces Agreement is abilateral visiting forces agreement between the countries.
- The agreements came into force on May 27, 1999, upon ratification by the Senate of the Philippines.