- The number of water bird species has declined by half in most habitats across the East Godavari River Estuarine Ecosystem (EGREE) region. This was revealed during a census conducted in the region, including the Coringa Wildlife Sanctuary and parts of Mada forest and Papikondalu regions.
- The census was conducted on February 20 and 21 in accordance with Asian Waterbird Census guidelines.
- It was found that the number of waterbird species has come down to half compared with the Asian Waterbird Census 2017.
- However, it is noteworthy that in the census, uncommon bird species such as Eurasian spoonbill or common spoonbill (Platalea leucorodia, Oyster catcher (Haematopus ostralegus) and Yellow bittern (Ixobrychus sinensis) were recorded.
- The Yellow bittern was not recorded in previous census.