- Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences and Environment, Forest and Climate change, inaugurated air pollution control device WAYU(Wind Augmentation PurifYing Unit) for traffic junctions at ITO intersection and Mukarba Chowk in Delhi.
- WAYU is developed by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research – National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (CSIR-NEERI) as a part of Technology Development Project being funded by Department of Science and Technology.
- The prototype device that has been indigenously developed has the capacity to purify air in an area of 500 meter square. Dr. Vardhan further added that the device consumes only half a unit of electricity for 10 hours of running and has a maintenance cost of only Rs. 1500 per month.
- The device works on two principles mainly Wind generation for dilution of air pollutants and Active Pollutants removal.
- The device has filters for Particulate Matter removal and activated carbon (charcoal) and UV lamps for poisonous gases removal such as VOCs and Carbon Monoxide.
- The device has one fan and filter for sucking and removing Particulate Matter.
- There are two UV lamps and half kg of activated carbon charcoal coated with special chemical Titanium Dioxide.