- Also spelled akhuni — is a fermented soya bean of Nagaland, known for its distinctive flavour and smell.
- made by fermenting soya beans. “Fermentation is what lends it its distinct smell and taste.
- used to make pickles and chutneys, or curries of pork, fish, chicken, beef etc. “It imparts a lot of flavour to anything you cook — even vegetables
- known by different names in different parts of Northeast India, including Meghalaya and Mizoram, Sikkim, Manipur as well in other South, Southeast and East Asian countries of Nepal, Bhutan, Japan, Korea, China, Myanmar, Vietnam and Indonesia.
- popular among the Sumi (also Sema) tribe.