- The Arctic is losing ice much faster than the Antarctic. Both ice sheets are in exponential decline, and if the trends continue, the effects will become irreversible.
- Which is not good news because every chunk of ice lost in these regions is a few more feet of land lost to the sea, a lot more unpredictability in the ocean currents, and thus in the monsoon for us here in India.
- Hotter summers and unpredictable cyclonic rains mean more difficult agriculture, higher food prices, and quite simply greater friction in society.
- Inter-state displacement, increased migration into India, and even violent conflict is not a far threat from thereon.
- Climate change isn’t a challenge for tomorrow, but a risk to our very generation.
- Every bit we do to address it, from reforestation to changing our food habits and adopting renewable energy, is a step towards not just protecting the polar regions but towards saving our own species.