- Atop a hill — a part of the Yangshan islands in the East China Sea — a panoramic view of a vast deep water port opens out, which serves as Shanghai’s gateway to the rest of the world.
- “The Yangshan deep-water port is the core of the larger Shanghai international shipping centre.
- It accounts for 40% of container traffic channelled from the city,”
- Building the Yangshan port, which lies in the Hangzhou Bay, has not been easy.
- The emergence of the Yangshan port is part of a concerted effort of backward integration with hinterland cities and towns in the prosperous Yangtze Delta zone, enabled by construction of new highways, roads, bridges, railroads, airports and industrial parks.
Source: The Hindu